Study Permits

Before coming to Canada, you will need to apply for a study permit. Get information on the application process and to download application forms

Here is a summary of what you will need before coming to study in Canada:

  • a letter of acceptance from our school (provided by Briercrest upon acceptance).
  • proof of adequate financial funding for tuition, room and board (provided by Briercrest upon acceptance).
  • confirmation that you will return home at the end of your studies.
  • a medical exam (if needed).
  • a Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (see below).

Government of Canada Announcement: On January 22nd the Government of Canada announced that all
students are required to submit an attestation letter from the province where they plan to study as part
of the study permit application. The process for how study permits applicants will get the attestation
letter has not been determined at this time. Briercrest is awaiting further information from the
Government of Saskatchewan. The process is expected to be in place by March 31st. Please check the
IRCC website for further study permit application information

Check processing times for your study permit application on the Government of Canada website.
Details on processing fees

The issuing of your study permit takes place when you arrive in Canada, either when you pass through Canadian Customs at the airport or at any Point of Entry if you come by land.


Bring all required documents with you and ensure that you receive your study permit at your point of entry, e.g., at customs or at the border. Also, check that your study permit has:

  • Your correct personal information, and
  • Appropriate expiry date (you must leave Canada by this date).
Additional Information


Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

You may be required to have a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada. This is a visitor entry visa that allows you to come into Canada and/or transit through an airport in Canada. This is not your study permit.

With the approval of your study permit application, the Government of Canada will send your TRV, if applicable.

If you are required to have a TRV, it is recommended to keep it valid so that you can re-enter Canada in case of emergency trips abroad.

More deails on the Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

If you are not required to have a visitor visa and are planning to fly or transit through a Canadian airport, you may need a valid Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

With the approval of your study permit application, the Government of Canada will send your Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), if applicable.

Details on the Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Travel to/from USA

If you plan to visit the United States of America while studying in Canada, be sure to bring important documents with you, such as:

  • Your valid passport
  • Valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or valid Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  • Valid USA visitor visa or approved ESTA

For more information and tips, visit the Canada Border Services Agency and Government of Canada's information on crossing the border into Canada

Travel Outside of Canada and the USA

Ensure that your travel and immigration documents are valid and will not expire before you return.

  • Passport or travel document
  • Study permit, and either a valid eTA or TRV (in order to return to Canada)
  • Valid visitor visa for the destination, if applicable

Check for travel advisories or tips communicated by your home country.

Travel Documentation for Family

Family or friends who come to visit you in Canada may need a Temporary Resident Visa or Electronic Travel Authorization.  Check the Government of Canada's Visa information on what they may need.

It is recommended that you provide your visiting family or friends with:

  • A copy of your study permit / post-graduation work permit / permanent resident card
  • A copy of your passport
  • A letter of invitation - see this page for details and tips
  • A copy of your marriage certificate (if you are inviting your spouse)
  • An official Briercrest enrolment letter (if you are a current student)
  • A letter from your employer (if you are a post-graduation work permit holder)
  • Proof of available funds (if you are paying for their visit)