Blayne Banting, DMin, PhD
EducationBRE, Alberta Bible College, 1978
MDiv, Canadian Theological Seminary, 1987
MA, Lincoln Christian Seminary, 1990
DMin, Acadia University, 1998
PhD, Trinity Theological Seminary, 2009
SpecializationHomiletics, Pastoral Theology, Ecclesiology
Blayne was born and raised in a farming community in Saskatchewan. He's been an ordained minister for over 30 years, and he has pastored churches on the Prairies and in the Maritimes as well as spending some years teaching in a Bible college context. Currently, Blayne serves as senior pastor of Caronport Community Church in Caronport, Sask. Blayne is married to Peggy and they have four children: Sarah, Nathan, Hannah, and Benjamin.
His time outside of the classroom is spent in church ministry, speaking engagements, tinkering with his old truck or at odd jobs around the house, playing volleyball or hockey, and doing some recreational reading.
ResearchPreaching in general - the relationship between textual forms and sermonic shape; use of creativity and humour in preaching in particular.
Missional focus and forms in contemporary ecclesiology.
- Take Up and Preach: A Primer for Interpreting Preaching Texts. Longwood, FL: Xulon Press, 2010.
- "Seven Completely Refutable Laws of Leadership: A Contrarian's Guide to Ministry." 3streams:helping people and churches get and stay healthy (December 1, 2009); http://3streams.ca
- "Should We Have a Theology of Preaching? Part 2." 3streams: helping people and churches get and stay healthy (October 29, 2009); http://3streams.ca
- "Should We Have a Theology of Preaching? Part 1." 3streams: helping people and churches get and stay healthy (June 9, 2009); http://3streams.ca
- "Bilingual Preaching." 3streams: helping people and churches get and stay healthy February 26, 2009); http://3streams.ca
- "And Speaking of God…: A Theology for Biblical Preaching." Paper presented at the Evangelical Homiletics Society, October 16-18, 2008. Birmingham, AL: Beeson Divinity School.
- "Sit-Down Comedy: An Appraisal of Jesus' Use of Humour." Paper presented at Canadian Society for the Study of Religion, May 29, 2007. Saskatoon: University of Saskatchewan.
- "The Sphere of Evangelical Homiletics: A Survey of Contemporary Approaches.
- Preaching. May-June 2006.
- Book Review: Preaching with Integrity by Kenton C. Anderson. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 2003. Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society, 5.2 (September 2005): 111-12.
- Book Review: The Homiletic of All Believers by O. Wesley Allen Jr. Louisville: West- Minster/John Knox Press, 2005. Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society, 5.2 (September 2005): 102-05.
- Book Review: Preaching the Gospel of Luke by Keith F. Nickle. Louisville: Westminster/ John Knox Press, 2000. Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society, 5.1 (March 2005): 85-86.
- "Maritime Christian College." In The Encyclopedia of the Stone-Campbell Movement, eds. Douglas Foster, et al. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2004.
- "The Preacher as Holy Fool: Humor as Homiletical Heuristic." Preaching. Nov/Dec 2004.
- "A Bridge Over Troubled Waters: Revisiting a Metaphor for Biblical Preaching." Paper presented at Evangelical Homiletics Society, October 16-18, 2004. Wake Forest, NC: Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.
- Book Review: Christian Hope, Christian Practice. A Funeral Guide. By Ian Markham and Giles Legood. Peabody: Hendrickson, 2004. Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society 4.2 (September 2004): 80-82.
- "The Sounds of Silence." Christian Standard 137 (October 13, 2002): 844-45.
- "Systematic Ecclesiology 101." Christian Standard 137 (July 14, 2002): 572-73.
- "In Praise of Folly." Christian Standard 137 (April 14, 2002): 300-01.
- "In Praise of Tradition." Christian Standard 137 (January 13, 2002): 20,21.
- "Healing and Preaching." Christian Standard 130 (September 10, 1995): 754-55.
- "Sects and the Single Christian." Christian Standard 129 (May 22, 1994): 442-43.
- "Lessons from a Lay-down." Christian Standard 125 (November 11, 1990): 1028-29.
MembershipsEvangelical Homiletics Society
Academy of Homiletics