David Guretzki, PhD
Vide-President External RelationsProfessor of Theology, Church and Public Life
Faculty of Arts and Science
BRE, Briercrest Bible College, 1989,
MA, Briercrest Biblical Seminary, 1995
PhD McGill University, 2006
Areas of SpecializationTheology of Karl Barth The Filioque Debate Trinitarian Theology and Pneumatology Modern Theology
David grew up at Onoway Evangelical Free Church where he came to know the Lord. He served as Assistant Pastor at Lacombe EFC from 1989-1992, after which he pursued further education and joined the faculty at Briercrest, where he has been seeking to equip people for ministry ever since. He teaches and researches on a broad number of topics, but focuses on the theology of forgiveness and reconciliation, on the nature of the Church and Kingdom of God, and the Christian's place in public life.
David serves as an elder at Caronport Community Church, is a national board member for the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada and past president of the Canadian Evangelical Theological Association. He is involved in regular preaching and teaching in various church contexts in Western Canada. David has been married to Maureen since 1989. They have three school-aged children. When David manages to find a few spare moments, he is involved in Amateur Radio, reading novels, and woodworking.
Theology of Karl Barth; Trinitarian Theology; Missional Church; the Church and Public Theology; Theology of Forgiveness and Reconciliation; Patristic and Modern Theology
- Karl Barth on the Filioque. Surrey: Ashgate Publishing, 2009. Foreword by Douglas Farrow.
- Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms. Co-authored with Stanley J. Grenz and Cherith Fee Nordling. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1999.
- "Conversing with Barth: A Primer to the Church Dogmatics. Ed. by W. Travis McMaken and David W. Congdon. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock. At press, forthcoming, 2012.
- "The State of the Question on the Filioque." Ecumenical Perspectives on the Filioque for the 21st Century. Edited by Myk Habets and John McDowell. For publication in 2012.
- Introduction to Trinitarian Theology. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press. [On contract. In process.]
- "The Filioque: Assessing Evangelical Approaches to a Knotty Problem" in Semper Reformandum: Studies in Honour of Clark H. Pinnock. 182-207. Carlisle, UK: Paternoster Press, 2003.
- "'Depart from Me!' Eternal Judgment in Christological Perspective." In Canadian Evangelical Review. 36-37 (Fall 2008 - Spring 2009): 17-37.
- "Carnell, Edward John" in Encyclopedia of Protestantism. Edited by Hans Hillerbrand. New York: Routledge, 2004.
- "Barth, Derrida and Différance: Is there a difference?" Didaskalia. 13.2 (Spring 2002): 51-71. (Also available online at the Center for Barth Studies: http://libweb.ptsem.edu/collections/barth/articles/Derrida_Difference.aspx?menu=296&subText=468 )
- "The Function of 'Mediator' in St. Augustine's De civitate Dei, Book IX" Hirundo: The McGill Journal of Classics. 1 (Fall 2001): 62-75.
Memberships and Affiliations
Peer Reviewer forInternational Journal of Systematic Theology,June 2011-.
Elder, Caronport Community Church, 2010 - Present
Member, Roman Catholic-Evangelical Dialogue Group (Co-sponsored by the Canadian Council of Catholic Bishops and the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada), 2010 -Present
Board Member for the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada, 2007 - Present. (Also serving as Chair of Strategic Direction Subcommittee, 2009-Present)
"Past President," Canadian Evangelical Theological Association, 2008-09.
President, Canadian Evangelical Theological Association, 2004-08.
Secretary-Treasurer, Canadian Evangelical Theological Association, 2003-04.
Member, Karl Barth Society of North America, 2003 - Present
- J. W. McConnell McGill Major Fellowship. (2004-2005). Value: $10,000
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Doctoral Fellowship (2002-2004). Value: $35,400
- Dean's Fellowship, Faculty of Religious Studies, McGill University, September, 2001. Value: $5000.00