David Cole, PhD
Assistant Professor of HistoryVice President, Student Development
Department of Arts and Science
B.A., Oral Roberts University, 1980
M.Div. Fuller Theological Seminary, 1986
M.A. in Theological and Historical Studies, Oral Roberts University, 1992
Ph.D. in Theology, Fuller Theological Seminary, 1998
Areas of SpecializationChurch History; Theology
Before coming to Briercrest College and Seminary in 2010, David spent over two decades in faculty and administrative roles at Christian educational institutions in Oklahoma, California and Oregon. He has also served in various senior and staff pastoral roles, as well as in a wide range of ecumenical activities. David and his wife Julie have three daughters, a son, and three grandchildren.
Pentecostal History and Theology
Ecumenism and Ecumenical Studies
- Ecumenical Trends May 1995 "Current Pentecostal/Ecumenical Tensions"
- Centro Pro Unione Bulletin N. 72 (Fall 2007) "Azusa Street Centennial: Pneumatological Perspective--A Possible Genealogy of the Holy Spirit"
- Encyclopedia of Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity, ed. S. M. Burgess, Routledge (2006) "Dialogue, Catholic and Pentecostal" and "Ecumenism and the Ecumenical Movement"
- "Heritage and Horizons: the Derivation and Destiny of Open Bible Churches," pp. 157-176 in The Future of Pentecostalism in the United States, Eric Patterson and Ed Rybarczyk, eds. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books (2007)
- "Holy Spirit Empowerment in the 21st Century: Future Ecumenical Challenges," pp. 237-259 in Spirit-empowered Christianity in the 21st Century: Insights, Analysis, and Future Trends from World-renowned Scholars, ed. Vinson Synan. Lake Mary, FL: Creation House (2011)
- Carl E. Braaten, Mother Church: Ecclesiology and Ecumenism; and Carl E. Braaten and Robert W. Jenson, eds.,Marks of the Body of Christ (Pneuma, Fall 2000)
- Walter Kasper, That They May All Be One (Pneuma, Spring 2007)
- Anna M. Robbins, ed. Ecumenical and Eclectic: The Unity of the Church in the Contemporary World. Essays in Honor of Alan P. F. Sell. (Religious Studies Review, September 2008)
Memberships and Affiliations
Association for Christians in Student Development
Society for Pentecostal Studies
Pentecostal-Charismatic Churches of North America--Liaison to the Greater Christian Community (2012-present)
International Catholic-Pentecostal Dialogue (participant since 1998; Pentecostal Co-Secretary since 2011)