2017 Commencement Guide for Seminary
Congratulations on reaching this point in your academic pursuit. We are looking forward to helping you celebrate your graduation with your class mates, family and friends. The following guide is designed to walk you through the graduation process.
Grad Schedule and Accommodation Information
2017 Graduation Applications are due November 14, 2016
- Applications need to be submitted to the Academic Services office
- Late applications, if accepted, will be charged an additional $30.00 along with the regular grad fee.
Preparing for Graduation
- Graduation Qualifications
- Fill out your correct program sheet based on the
instructions below, print it off and attach it to your grad app.
(These program sheets are in Microsoft Excel format and if you are
unable to open it, try downloading a free version of Open Office and then
open the document. As a last resort, a blank, printed program sheet
can be obtained from the Reception desk in the Academic Services
- Indicate all grades received for courses completed at BCS.
- Indicate all transfer credits received from previous educational institutes with a "T"
- Indicate courses that are currently being taken with an "F" for fall and a "W" for winter courses
- Indicate courses that were taken through Distance Education with a "DE"
- In order to graduate in April, students must ensure that they are able to fulfill all program requirements prior to graduation.
All Degree Programs require the submission of a Learning Portfolio, completed according to the Portfolio Guidelines for Briercrest Seminary, as well as a Portfolio Interview. The portfolio involves the student reflecting on and cataloguing their growth and development as a Seminary student, and forms the basis of the Portfolio Interview that will take place between the student and Seminary Leadership/Faculty.
- The Portfolio Interview can be arranged once a student has completed 51 credit hours in their program of study.
- Arrangements for your Portfolio Interview should be made with your Program Coordinator either prior to or at the same time your grad application is being submitted.
- All Portfolio requirements for a 2017 graduation must be completed prior to March 31, 2017. Please keep in mind that significant time is needed to set up the Portfolio Interview and to fit it into the faculty and student's time schedule.
- A student's Portfolio will need to be completed and submitted to the Seminary Dean's Administrative Assistant at least two weeks prior to the scheduled date of the Portfolio Interview.
- MRRPs/SRPs must be completed by March 1, 2017.
- For students working on a thesis, the completed draft must be submitted by March 1, 2017 with the oral defence taking place no later than one week before commencement.
- A grad fee of $145.00 will be charged to your student account on November 15, 2016. This fee applies to all grads regardless of whether or not they choose to attend the ceremony and banquet. A full refund will be available to any student that withdraws their grad application. Grad garment rentals are included in the fee. There is also an option on the application to purchase your gown and hood if you so desire. Cap and tassel will be yours to keep.
- We would like to have your grad picture included in the yearbook and in order for that to happen you will need to go to the Academic Services office to have your picture taken any time you are on campus before the end of January. This same picture will be included in the hallway composite grad class picture. If you are unable to have your picture taken by the January deadline, we would still like to have your picture for the composite and we will continue to be available to take your picture right up until the commencement service. Please contact the Grad Coordinator email@example.com for more information.
Grad Banquet and Commencement Information
- The Seminary grad banquet will be held on Saturday, April 22, 2017 and is reserved seating only. Each grad may request to reserve two complimentary seats along with his/her own seat. A limited number of extra seats may be requested at a cost of $35.00 each. The final date for reserving banquet seats is March 20, 2017.
- Information about Commencement and the grad banquet can be found in the following links and the Grad Coordinator will be sending out emails with more detailed information during the second semester.
Grad Schedule and Accommodation Information
Dates To Remember
Nov 14, 2016 - Grad application deadline for all students wanting to graduate in April 2017.
Nov 17, 2016 - A grad fee of $145.00 will be charged to the accounts of all who submitt a 2017 grad app.
March 1, 2017 - Thesis due. SRP due.
March 20, 2017 - Last day to reserve seats for the seminary grad banquet.
March 31, 2017 - Last day to complete Portfolio requirements
April 22, 2017 - Commencement service (2:00 PM) and banquet (5:30 PM).